We are a family who enjoys livin' on the edge!

Friday, July 9, 2010

Take me out to the ball game...

Growing up I spent most of my youth inside the 8th Wonder of the World, the Astrodome. My family had our favorite seats and we would eat the Antone's subs we snuck in inside my mom's large purse {because at the time a $1.50 for a hot dog was WAY TOO MUCH to spend}. We would sit in the front row of the lodge deck on the 3rd base side. My dad would listen to the game on his Sony Walkman and my mom would keep track of game in her scorebook. The yelling back and forth between them is something I will never forget, "Was that a called strike or did he swing?" my mom would asked {the scorebook had to be right}. "What?" my dad would yell back about 4 times too loud because when you are wearing headphones you can't hear yourself talk. And then there was me, an Astros Buddy {I think I got a t-shirt, discounted tickets, a bag to bring all my baseball gear to the game, and a dinner for 4 gift certificate to the Cracker Barrel for joining - quite a deal!}. When I wasn't using my dad's binoculars, which weighed about 10 pounds, to stare at Craig Biggio or Bill Doran, I would hang K's on the railing each time the pitcher would strike out the batter. I need a moment, hold on readers.... I am thinking about the first loves of my life... {and their butts in those baseball paints}.
Ok, I am back.
I want Merritt to feel the same love about the game of baseball that her father and I do, so we started taking her to baseball games early. She listened to Craig Biggio's last game while in my tummy, she met Nolan Ryan in the elevator at her first Round Rock Express baseball game, and we use the ESPN box at the Dell Diamond whenever my hubby can get it from the station.
On our way to the game Wednesday, we practiced saying baseball and discussed what we were about to see {mainly me talking about my opinons and her saying 'Ok, mama' and 'Snack, Plez'}.
We had a great time with our friends and can't wait til Merritt loves the game as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment